Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thing 47

What a ride. I need to say I believe had I been successful in completing 23 Things on a Stick, the added things I explored would have been easier. I think this because I went back to 23 Things for help and reminders from time to time.

I enjoyed many aspects of this experience, and learned many important things. I always felt there just wasn't enough time but of course that was dependent upon how much time I set aside. I was often overwhelmed at the number of choices to look at and dig into, even just a little on the Things. Maybe fewer choices required, and more choices as a bonus would have been helpful for someone like me who needs lots of time to read, comprehend and then try and make things work. Perhaps a two tier offering would have been helpful. Honestly, some of us just don't pick up as quickly as others on all of the techno aspects of what we're doing. I know of participants who seemed to simply breeze through the things with little pain, and yet I spent hours trying to make one aspect work.

I almost think I preferred the blog format used with 23 Things to the Wikki format for More Things. I can specifically say why exactly, except that I am much more comfortable with the blog, since all my work was on the blog. I am a little experience with the Wikki, just not sure it was as user friendly.

Doing something that helps staff learn more hands on with tools such as MP3 players, ipods, and "equipment" related devices would be interesting. For some, and I know more than a few, just learning how to use their new cell phone (not a blackberry either) work and how to navigate the various functions could be a really helpful library offering. I asked a friend who just got a cell if she would consider using the library for some on-on-one assistance on how to learn about her phone, she said YES!

The library is a place where so much can be taught and learned, and we have so many youth today able to help. What a great small way of bridging the generational gap in such a helpful way. Again, I know many older people who would really just like to learn the basics on how to use a computer. My 80 year old Aunt was skyped by her son when he arrived in India, and learned all she knows from her grandson. I haven't even been skyped yet! So much potential . . . so much fun! Thanks you Multitypes for this offering. Looking forward to what might be next.

1 comment:

SAMMIE said...

Lynn,

Nice catch up on More Things on a Stick. Completing 11 Things is a great accomplishment.

Robin